Youth Entrepreneurial Programs In The Highwood Region
Youth and Student Business Loans
Why work for someone else if you can work for yourself? If you want to turn your passion or hobby into a business - your options are endless!
Student Business Loans
- For youth 14+ years of age
- Must be in grade 9-12 or be enrolled in a post-secondary institution full-time
- CFH offers interest-free loans up to $3,000 to students wishing to operate a summer business between April-October or year-round business while going to school
- Loans up to $10,000
- Interest-free from May 1 to October 31
- Prime +2% interest rate after October 31
Youth Business Loans
- For youth 18-29 years of age who are not attending school full time
- Loans up to $25,000
- Prime +2% interest rate
With our youth & student business loans you receive support:
- In completing a business plan
- In completing a budget/cash flow projection
- In understanding how to run your business
- Developing ideas
Rotary Alberta Youth Entrepreneurship Camp
The Rotary Alberta Youth Entrepreneurship Camp (RAYEC) is a one week business planning camp for youth aged 13-15 designed to improve business, academic and life skills through entrepreneurship. Held at Eagles Nest Ranch in the Cypress Hills, Alberta, this one week entrepreneurial-based camp combines the education of business training with a summer camp atmosphere.
It’s not only about numbers and business plans though. Everyone participates in summer camp experiences and recreational activities: zipline, archery, wall climbing and paintball are just a few examples.
An additional component to RAYEC is the Youth Leadership Training Program. Each year, 10 youth who have previously attended the camp return in a different capacity - to provide mentorship to campers. Youth leadership trainees benefit in the development of leadership capability, team building skills and community spirit.
Each year, Community Futures Highwood sends four youth from our region. Camper scholarships are sponsored by local businesses and organizations. Youth applicants are required to submit an essay outlining why they would be a good candidate for the camp and are expected to contribute some volunteer hours with the sponsoring company/organization. This could include volunteering at a company event or making a presentation after the camp.